Moving to a new home can be an overwhelming experience. There’s so much to do, and you can’t always put your work or studies on hold to accomplish everything at your own time. Stay on top of everything by preparing for the big day in advance. Follow these smart tips from your reliable residential movers for a stress-free relocation!
Tips to Prepare for Moving Day in Advance
Don’t put off for tomorrow what you can do today. Ease the relocation process by doing the following preparation tips from expert movers.
Months Before Moving Day:
- Create a detailed checklist. Identify all the things you need to do on and before the relocation day, such as:
- Hiring a professional moving company
- Establish the tasks the movers will handle.
- Set a relocation timeline with your movers.
- Make transport arrangements for your belongings.
- Packing your belongings
- Buy packing materials.
- Dismantle large furniture for transport.
- Unplug and pack electronic devices.
- Sort items into piles such as “to keep,” “to discard,” and “to donate.”
- Box or package your “to keep” belongings.
- Stick a label to each box detailing its contents and intended room.
- Create a furniture placement plan for your new home.
- Place your “to discard” belongings in their proper disposal areas.
- Take your “to donate” belongings to their intended recipients.
- Cleaning up your soon-to-be old home
- Make sure all built-in cabinets, shelves, and compartments are empty.
- Take time to sweep, mop, and wax the floors.
- Wipe down surfaces.
- Clean the windows.
- Empty the trash bins.
- Transporting your belongings to your new home
- Load the boxes to the moving vehicle.
- Keep extra items in storage units.
- Unpacking your belongings in your new home
- Unpack boxes per room and by necessity.
- Reassemble dismantled furniture.
- Use the furniture placement plan when furnishing your new home.
Be as detailed as possible and set a deadline for each task. Make sure those that have a significant impact on your to-do list, such as hiring a reliable moving company, are done first.
- Set a relocation budget. Make sure you don’t drain your savings by establishing and sticking to a budget. It should consider the cost of:
- Moving Company Services
- Packaging Materials
- Repair or Renovation of Your Old Home
- New Appliances or Furniture
- Storage Units
Set aside a contingency fund as well to cover emergency expenses that can crop up during the transfer process.
Weeks Before Moving Day:
- Update essential organizations for your big move. Inform your utility companies, school, or workplace about your change of address. If you have subscriptions, don’t forget to update their respective suppliers as well.
- Take vital documents and items to storage units.
Before the hustle and bustle of your relocation truly takes off, keep your valuables somewhere safe to avoid misplacing them. Take them to a cutting-edge storage unit.
Essential documents, priceless heirlooms, well-loved antiques, and other valuables will surely stay in top condition in secure, temperature-regulated storage units. Talk to your residential movers to find the best storage options in the city.
The Day Before Moving Day:
- Charge your gadgets. It’ll help you stay accessible to your significant other, family members, friends, and expert movers. Don’t let a dead mobile phone interfere with your relocation.
- Prepare a “first-night” bag. You won’t be able to unpack everything on relocation day, so this will make your first night in your new home more comfortable.
Pack extra clothes, pajamas, toiletries, chargers, disposable plates and utensils, and prepared meals. If you have kids and pets, make sure to consider them while packing.
- Prepare your moving day attire. If you’re moving in the summer, choose light and comfortable clothes to beat the heat. Make sure it doesn’t have any loose areas to avoid snagging on anything while you’re in a hurry.
- Get a good night’s sleep. You’ll need to be well-rested, so you’ll stay on top of your game during the big day.
Stay on Top of Moving Day with Hercules Movers
Review your activity schedule to make sure that everything is done according to plan and on time. Let Hercules Movers take care of your big move for a fast, efficient, and hassle-free relocation. We specialize in residential, long-distance, international, and commercial moving services. Call us now at 732-324-2500 for inquiries!