Moving day is right around the corner —are you ready? If you’ve already hired a moving company in New Jersey, consider the job more than halfway done. However, moving day can be a stressful and complicated process, especially if this is your first time transferring to a new home.
Nothing beats advanced planning and preparation to ensure the big day goes smoothly. Know what to expect on the day of the move, and how you should prepare for the task.
What to Expect from Your Movers on Moving Day
It’s easy to get overwhelmed with so many people and objects coming in and out of your home at the same time. Some homeowners become even more flustered because they don’t know how movers work. Familiarize yourself with how the pros work:
- The movers will arrive at your place. Coordinate the exact day and time. Find out who the supervisor of the crew is, since that he will be your go-to person.
- The movers will prepare an inventory of your goods, including the condition of each item, to ensure your belongings will arrive in their original condition. This prevents frivolous damage claims while providing proof for credible ones. Look over each assessment carefully, especially if you’re working with long-distance international movers in New Jersey.
- The movers will start loading the moving trucks or vans. Make sure to set aside anything you’d like to carry yourself, such as high-value or personal items.
- The movers will apply a specific loading strategy. In general, this involves pad-wrapping the items before taking them to the vehicle.
- The movers may mix pieces from different rooms and floors to make sure everything fits snugly. Don’t worry about your items being out of order. Just tell the movers where you want them to place everything upon arrival at the destination.
- The movers are ready to transfer. Once all your belongings are loaded, you will be given a bill of lading. This includes the estimate, conditions of the move, and expected delivery dates. Sign only when you’re satisfied with every detail.
The exact moving methods can vary depending on which moving company in New Jersey you choose. Remember to get out of the professionals’ way once they start working. Relax, let them do the hard work, and focus on your preparations.
Moving Day Preparation Tips
Check off each item on this list to guide your moving day preparations:
- Keep a running list of frequently forgotten tasks, such as emptying the fridge. These are small but important tasks can get in the way of the whole move if you remember them at the last minute.
- Secure arrangements for children and pets. This keeps them safe and gets them out of the way of the movers.
- Get enough sleep the night before.
- Pack a cooler with high-protein, low-mess foods, such as sandwiches, protein bars, trail mix, and bottled water and juices. You’ll need these to keep your energy up.
- Pack a moving “go” bag for crucial items, such as jewelry, documents, and essentials like phone chargers, medications, and extra sets of clothes and toiletries. Keep it in your car ahead of time.
- For items you’d like to keep, but not ready to have at your new place, arrange for storage with storage facilities in New Jersey.
- Leave out some cleaning supplies. Ideally, you should deep clean in advance of the move. The cleaning supplies are for last-minute tasks, such as sweeping up or wiping up spills.
- Charge your phone and other gadgets.
- Conduct a last walk through to make sure nothing is left behind.
Simplify Moving Day with Hercules Movers
Moving day is always a challenge, and the right professionals can make it a pleasant, hassle-free experience for you and your family. Hercules Movers offers residential, commercial, and international moving services along with packing, crating, and storage services. Call us at (732) 324-2500 or use our Contact Form for inquiries.