The rate of migration has increased. People moving out of populated suburbia or cities exploded due to the pandemic, because of costs, taxes, and more. As much as people do not like to move, because of the stress and cost attached to moving, there are always reasons to move. Reports show that New Jersey has had a considerable amount of out-migration in recent years. According to the report, Millennials make up the bulk of people migrating out of New Jersey. Between 2004 and 2016, the percentage of millennials that migrated out of New Jersey more than doubled. There are however reports to show that the out-migration of millennials is not just limited to New Jersey. Millennials are moving from other places. Reasons for all the moves include expensive housing, low quality of life, as well as inaccessible transportation facilities and infrastructure. These are some of the major reasons why millennials move.
Millennials is the term generally used to describe people born between the years 1980 and 2000. The pattern of movement shows that these millennials when moving to other states, choose urbanized locations with job opportunities, affordable housing, easy and affordable transportation, infrastructure, and good quality of life where other social amenities and recreational facilities, are accessed easily. These are qualities that the states that millennials are moving out from lack. Some states with these amenities that attract millennials are now considered millennial states and often referred to as millennial magnets.
As much as the availability of social amenities and recreational facilities are good reasons to move, millennials also consider the availability of opportunities that can be exploited in their destination state. Thus, regardless of the normal large states that are millennial magnets, there are some smalls states and cities that attract a good number of millennials.
Below is a list of states that millennials moving out of New Jersey are choosing to move to and some of the things that attract millennials to these states. This list is in no particular order.
- Washington: Washington has had a Millennial net migration of 2.16%. it provides the possibility for growth. The cost of living in Washington is high. However, taxes in Washington are cheaper and more stable than in some other states. The state also provides a good quality of life and the city is a perfect blend of different generations.
- New York: Although New York is an expensive place to live in, it has lower income and housing tax rates. New York has a high GDP and a strong Economy. There are a lot of opportunities available for millennials to explore in the state. It is also a very exciting state to live in as there are a lot of shows and recreational centers for millennials to socialize.
- Los Angeles: Los Angeles is a very beautiful place to live in. The city has good weather which is one of the most attractive things about the city. Asides from the weather, Los Angeles has a lot of colleges within the city, making it a great place to get an education. If you love sports, it is also a good place for you to have a sporting activity as your recreational and even professional activity. All these and more make Los Angeles an attractive place for millennials to live in.
- Nebraska: Nebraska has had a millennial net migration increase of 1.79%. This state is popular for millennials because it has a lot of employment opportunities. Nebraska offers high income and cheap housing. The state also has good quality of life. Making it a good place for millennials to live.
- New Hampshire: New Hampshire has had a millennial net migration increase of 1.9%. New Hampshire is one of the safest places to live and raise a family. The state has a low crime rate. Although the cost of living is high, it is low compared to other metro cities.
- Colorado: Colorado has had a millennial net migration increase of 2.74%. Colorado provides a good opportunity for employment for millennials. The State has a low rate of unemployment. Colorado also has a flat income rate which is a good fiscal policy that works for millennials. In addition to these, Colorado is a good place for recreational places such as nice restaurant scenes and parks.
- Virginia: Virginia is popular and attractive to millennials because of the good standard of living the state provides. The state has facilities and recreational centers that make it an attractive place to live, work, and raise a family – which millennials are trying to do. The beaches in Virginia also make it a very beautiful place to have fun and relax.
- Texas: Texas is another state millennials are moving to. There are three cities in Texas – Austin, San Antonio, and Huston that are the top attractions in the state. In 2018, records show that more than 3,200 millennials moved to each of the mention states. One attractive thing about Texas is that there is no state income tax on salaries and wages.
- North Carolina: North Carolina is a good place for businesses to thrive. This has made it a good place for millennials who are entrepreneurial to migrate to. The state also has very beautiful scenery for relaxation and socialization.
- Tennessee: Another reason millennials move to Tennessee is that the state has no income tax on salaries and wages. This saves money for a millennial who is trying to maximize income as much as possible. Tennessee is also a state that has affordable housing. This helps Millennials to be more independent which is something millennials look forward to.
- Nevada: One attractive thing about Nevada is that there is no state income tax on salaries and wages. Nevada also has a lot of good job opportunities and a reasonable cost and standard of living. The great weather is also a plus to this state.
- Ohio: Ohio is an attractive place for millennials to move to because the state has affordable housing compared to most states. This provides the opportunity for millennials to easily rent and live alone or even buy. The Migration into Ohio is particularly high in Columbus which provides some of the most affordable housing rates.
THINKING ABOUT MOVING OUT OF STATE?
Are you thinking of moving out of New Jersey to Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Florida, South Carolina, Georgia, or some other state across the country? Hercules Movers, Inc can help get you and your belongings there safely. Call us if you are looking for a free no-obligation quote for your long-distance move at 732-324-2500 today to schedules an appointment for us to come to you.